Yesterday, I posted a poll to gauge the feeling amongst Arsenal fans about Arsene Wenger’s tenure as Arsenal manager. Instead of a simple yes or no poll, I had a series of 8 different answers to see how fans felt. The question was “Should Arsene Wenger be the manager of Arsenal?”, and the possible answers were:
- Yes, of course! He has done miracles at the club and is the only man for the club.
- Yes, but if he doesn’t win anything in the next 3 years then we should look for someone else.
- Yes, but only for this season. If we end up trophy-less again we should bring in someone else.
- Yes, but he needs to bring in a defensive coach.
- Yes, but he needs to bring in experienced players such as Bergkamp or Keown to help coach the team.
- I’m not sure.
- No, he has had 8 seasons to win something and hasn’t delivered.
- We should have brought someone else in several seasons ago.
And with a total of 531 votes cast, the final results are below:
1. Yes, of course! He has done miracles at the club and is the only man for the club.
Final result: 33% (173 votes)
A massive 33% felt that Arsene Wenger is the only man for the job, based on the the work he has done over the last 17 years. With the number of Arsenal fans out there calling for Arsene’s head, this is surprising. Perhaps the people who want “Wenger Out” are just more vocal than people who are behind the Frenchman?
The result shows that the majority of people (with those who voted 2 and 3 – see below) are behind Arsene Wenger and the things he is trying to do.
2. Yes, but if he doesn’t win anything in the next 3 years then we should look for someone else.
Final result: 19% (100 votes)
Second in the voting is the opinion that while Arsene’s achievements should be admired, there is only so long fans can take without winning a trophy. It has been 8 seasons now without any silverware and this opinion shows that fans are willing to give the manager time to turn things around in regards to winning the major honours.
3. Yes, but only for this season. If we end up trophy-less again we should bring in someone else.
Final result: 17% (89 votes)
Close in third position is the feeling that Arsene Wenger deserves another season after all of the things he has achieved but if it ends up trophyless again then it’s time for a change. With the promise of a “massive warchest” at his disposal, fans feel that if he’s ever going to challenge for major honours then this is the time.
4. No, he has had 8 seasons to win something and hasn’t delivered.
Final result: 11% (61 votes)
This sums up the fans who feel that enough is enough. The last 8 seasons have been though, and although we put up a real challenge for the title until Eduardo’s injury at Birmingham, other seasons have been disappointing. There is a definitely a percentage of fans who think things won’t change under Wenger and it will be the same old story with him in charge.
= 5. Yes, but he needs to bring in experienced players such as Bergkamp or Keown to help coach the team.
Final result: 9% (48 votes)
= 5. We should have brought someone else in several seasons ago.
Final result: 9% (48 votes)
In joint 5th place are the opinions that Arsene needs to be less stubborn and bring in players/coaches such as Dennis Bergkamp and Martin Keown to help out, and the opinion that Wenger should have left several seasons ago. We know about Keown’s influence in the 2005/2006 season when we reached the Champions League final and bringing in some of the legends who were part of our most successful sides would help the current players and the manager, who would have another opinion to share.
The other feeling obviously shows some Arsenal fans have just had enough of Arsene.
6. I’m not sure
Final result: 1% (7 votes)
7. Yes, but he needs to bring in a defensive coach.
Final result: 1% (5 votes)
The last two results only registered a very small percentage of results that show people have strong opinions on way or the other. The lack of votes for bringing in a defensive coach are telling though, possibly showing that fans have a bit of faith in our defence after our excellent defensive record in the last 10 games of last season?