Ever since the season ended, Arsenal fans have heard all kinds of rumours about potential targets. Here, I try and identify the hard facts, against all the “fiction” made up online and in the press.
So what is actually going on in the transfer market? Here are the only hard facts with their official sources:
- Arsenal have had an £18.5 million bid rejected for Bayer Leverkusen’s Lars Bender [Bayer Leverkusen]
- Arsenal have bid £30 million for Luis Suarez, which Liverpool immediately rejected [Liverpool FC]
- Real Madrid’s president Florentino Perez has come out and said that there has been no offer from Arsenal for Gonzalo Higuain [Real Madrid]
- Arsenal have signed Yaya Sanogo on a free from Auxerre [Arsenal FC]
So they are the only “facts” (say it in a Rafa Benitez voice) to come out so far, from the actual football clubs involved. As yet, there has been no word on transfers or deals from Arsenal, except for the signing of Sanogo.
And here are the “theories and rumours” that have been circulating Twitter, the Internet and the press:
- Arsenal have already agreed a deal for Gonzalo Higuain for £22.5 million.
- We’ve agreed a 3 year contract worth £130,000 a week.
- Real Madrid are “haggling” on the price and holding out for more money.
- Arsenal do not want to fork out an extra £2.5 million for Higuain.
- Arsenal only bid on Luis Suarez to get Real Madrid to hurry up and sell Higuain to us.
- Arsenal have bid for Marouane Fellaini, but aren’t willing to pay the release clause that he has on his contract (Arsenal want to pay £20 million, Everton want £23 million).
- Arsenal are serious about bringing Wayne Rooney to The Emirates, smashing their transfer and wages records in the process.
- Arsenal are interested in bringing in Fernando Torres and Gareth Barry to the club.
- Real Madrid are willing to let Higuain join Tottenham in a part-exchange plus cash dead for Gareth Bale.
- We’ve also been linked with Jovetic, but those rumours died a quick death.
I’m sure there’s countless more “news” that has been going around but that’s all I can think of for now.
So what do you make of that?
From what I’ve read, I pretty much thought the Higuain deal was 95% certain to happen. But the latest news from Real Mardid pretty much kills any optimism for that happening. Maybe Arsenal and Real Madrid are playing games? Who knows.
Many people have vented their frustration and anger at Arsene Wenger and the board, which at this stage is slightly unfair. While it does seem like Arsenal are penny-pinching in the transfer market, it is the media and press that are making up stories to sell newspapers and gain hits and unfortunatly we Arsenal fans, desperate for a new era where we actually recruit some world class players, are hungry for any positive developments.
I did find it strange however that Ivan Gazidis came out publicly and announced to the world they had a massive war chest and could spend mega money on wages. For a club that is usually so shrewd in transfer dealings, that was a stupid thing to come out with.
I don’t think I can take it anymore, maybe I should just lock myself up in dark room until the start of the season…
They say it’s not the disappointment that kills you, it’s the hope.