Last week I wrote that if Arsenal don’t sign a world class striker, then we will not win the league. And only 3 days later, Arsenal go ahead and prove me right.
After Chelsea suffered a surprise draw against Swansea yesterday, then today was a perfect chance to get 3 points on the board and give ourselves an excellent start in our Premier League campaign.
But what happened?
The same old Arsenal happened.
Should we be surprised? You can also write the script before the season even starts:
- Great optimism in the summer, after a decent pre-season and good signings.
- Sloppy start to the season, then we end up playing catch up for the rest of the campaign.
- We throw away stupid points because of awful goalkeeping mistakes.
- We suffer injuries to key players which hamper our title challenge.
- We will then go on a decent 15 game unbeaten run.
- We end up finishing 3rd/4th.
Have I missed anything?
The signing of Petr Cech was lauded as the final piece in Arsenal’s title challenging team, a man who was supposed to give Arsenal an extra 10/15 points to our season. Instead he was quite simply awful. He made a complete howler for West Ham’s first goal and for the second… I am lost for words.
It looks like another case of David Ospina coming in again after our first choice goalkeeper has lost the plot.
Jose Mourinho must be laughing his head off – his former goalkeeper was the main reason why one of Chelsea’s title rivals threw away 3 points.
The performance from the whole team was limp and we haven’t learnt any lessons at all from the previous 10 barren seasons.
What a joke, and I suppose our hopes this season are on trying to win the FA Cup again.