It’s the same old story every single season, so to make things easier, here’s a check-list of what will happen next season:
- The club tell us Arsene has money to spend.
- In the summer, we will sell 4 players, bring in 2 and be ‘stronger’.
- We are told by Arsene Wenger that Arsenal will mount a real title challenge this season, as our squad is more experienced and stronger.
- The club are happy that we’ve made a profit.
- After a positive start, we will lose a big player to injury before Xmas.
- We don’t need to sign anyone, as players returning from injury are just like ‘new signings’.
- We don’t bring in anyone in the January Transfer Window.
- We throw away the FA Cup.
- We’re told that challenging for the league is better than any FA Cup.
- Our form suffers and we’re out of the title race by Spring.
- We’re told a Top Three finish is better than any FA Cup.
- We get to the Quarter/Semi Finals (delete as appropriate) of the Champions League, but go out.
- We’re told a Top Four finish is better than any FA Cup.
- ‘Real’ Arsenal fans tell us that we should be grateful for a Top Four position and all these expectations are unrealistic, we don’t really support the club and we’re spoilt, despite Number 3.
- Arsene Wenger tells us finishing in the Top Four is like winning trophies.
- Lather, rinse and repeat.
See you next season.